Black Pottery : Historic Black Pottery Pot from the Ayuthaya Ruins Outside of Bangkok, Thailand #422 Sold
422. A historic black terracotta pottery pot, acquired from the locals at the Ayuthaya Ruins just outsider of Bangkok, Thailand. Purchased some 50 years ago. There are striations on the outside of the piece probably caused by the pottery making paddle. It is a rough piece but overall it is in good condition for its reported age.
Ayutthaya (full name Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, also spelled "Ayudhya") city is the capital of Ayutthaya province in Thailand. Located in the valley of the Chao Phraya River, the city was founded in 1350 by King U Thong, who went there to escape a smallpox outbreak in Lop Buri and proclaimed it the capital of his kingdom, often referred to as the Ayutthaya kingdom or Siam. Ayutthaya became the second Siamese capital after Sukhothai. It is estimated that Ayutthaya by the year 1600 CE had a population of about 300,000, with the population perhaps reaching 1,000,000 around 1700 CE, making it one of the world's largest cities at that time, when it was sometimes known as the "Venice of the East".
In 1767, the city was destroyed by the Burmese army, resulting in the collapse of the kingdom. The ruins of the old city are preserved in the Ayutthaya historical park, which is recognized internationally as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ruins, characterized by the prang (reliquary towers) and gigantic monasteries, give an idea of the city's past splendour. Modern Ayutthaya was refounded a few kilometers to the east.